Sunday, January 29, 2012

Will's Hobo Breakfast

Visting my daughter in Houston and having her make my breakfast is a real treat.  She's a busy mom, working as Senior Manager of Communication, Houston ISD.  Her boyfriend, Will, is a pescatarian, so they eat a lot of vegetarian meals.
Helen made me Will's creation, we named the "hobo breakfast".  It was a delicious mixture of potatoes, Boca crumbles, egg whites and spices.  The Boca crumbles tasted like sausage and have none of the fat or cholesterol.  We had some bagels and Greek yogurt on the side.  My cup of Starbucks Via, the food cooked by my daughter, and sharing a meal with my granddaughter, Grace,  made it feel like a special occasion.
I loved the "hobo breakfast" and plan to make it when I get back to Fort Worth. 




Will's Hobo Breakfast

2 cups Ore Ida Crispy Crowns, defrosted by cooking 2 minutes in the microwave
1 T olive oil or vegetable oil
1/2 cup Boca crumbles
1 cup egg whites (in carton or from fresh eggs)
1/2 tsp Herbs de Provence
1/2 tsp Tony Chachere's Creole seasoning
1 tsp Mrs. Dash table blend
freshly ground black pepper to taste
salt to taste

Heat large skillet and add oil.  Add potatoes and fry, breaking into small pieces.  Add Boca crumbles and spices.  Cook for a couple minutes until everything is browned and hot.  Add egg whites and mix.  Cook until eggs are set.  Serve with Frank's red hot sauce.

Variation:  I will probably use real potatoes since I usually have Yukon gold or russet potatoes in my pantry.  Cook the potatoes in the microwave for 6-8 minutes, depending on size and power of your microwave.  Let cool, then cut into small pieces.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More