Sunday, January 1, 2012

365 Days of Healthy Eating Challenge

September 2006
I have been overweight for ages, sometimes losing a few pounds and then gaining them back.  It's been a big struggle and harder in recent years to get weight off.
I worked really hard in 2011 to get healthier.  In April 2011 I started working out at a private weightlifting club, The Barn, in Azle, with Sandra Kidd, a personal trainer.  She is a competitive body builder and is very serious about what she does.  I have been meeting with her 2-3 times a week since April and managed to drop almost 14 pounds and get into much better shape, necessitating smaller work clothes and a new wardrobe of skinny jeans and more fitted clothes.  My BMI dropped into the normal, not overweight zone, for the first time since 1997 when I went through the Phen-fen phase and got down to a few pounds lower than what I weigh now but felt terrible.  I feel great now, full of energy, sleep well, normal blood pressure, strong, etc..  Over the holidays, however, I got back into my usual routine of overdoing it.  I made way too many sweets for "gifts", indulged in rich foods, and exercised less.
October 2011
As a result, I gained a couple pounds back, no surprise.  A few weeks ago I told Sandra my goal for 2012 was to be at my ideal weight by April, a year after starting with her.  There is no reason for me to still be struggling with these few extra pounds after have 8-12 private sessions every month with her.
As you can see from my photos, I have trimmed down quite a bit, but I would really like to lose 20 pounds and keep it off. 
There is absolutely no reason for me, a trained chef, to be overweight since I am capable of preparing any type of healthy food.  My children are grown so I can come home and exercise.  They used to to be my excuse for not being able to exercise regularly.
I will be posting daily recipes I've either created or found as well as successes and challenges on my endeavor.
This morning I made a delicious frittata, inspired by one I saw in the fall at the Santa Fe Farmers Market.  That frittata was filled with peppers, corn, and green chiles.  Mine has some mushrooms and goat cheese as well.

Santa Fe Frittata

2 green chiles, roasted, seeded and diced
5 egg whites and 1 whole egg, beaten
1/4 cup diced red bell pepper
1/4 cup diced onion
4 crimini mushrooms, sliced
2 T corn
3 T cilantro, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
dash of cumin
2 T goat cheese

Saute vegetables in non stick pan sprayed with Pam until tender, 3-4 minutes.  Set aside.  Saute mushrooms in non stick pan sprayed with Pam, 3-4 minutes.  Clean pan with paper towel.
Heat and spray with Pam.  Add eggs and all vegetables and crumbled goat cheese.  Add 1/2 the cilantro.  Cook on medium low heat until set.  But under hot broiler to brown top, just for a couple minutes.  Sprinkle the rest of the cilantro on top.
Serves 2

I tried an Ezekiel Sprouted Grain tortilla with this but found it too be inedible, way too chewy and weird.  The frittata was fantastic and I enjoyed it immensely.

The show Hungry Girl was playing on Food Network in the background : )


Sandra Kidd, far right

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More