Saturday, January 14, 2012

French Toast

French Toast can be a nightmare if you're trying to lighten things up.  An order of Sonic French toast sticks has 500 calories and restuarant plates of stuffed French toast can be close to 1,000.  I wanted French toast this morning that fit within my breaksfast calorie range of under 300 calories for grains, fruit, and protein.
Yesterday I picked up my weekly loaf of bread of Artisan Baking Company on White Settlement Road.
It is open from 9-1 on Fridays, so if you want artisan bread made with the highest quality ingredients that tastes like bread is supposed to taste, then make a trip there, or go to the Cowtown Farmers Market on Saturday mornings where Artisan has a stand.  I had a loaf of Harvest 9-grain bread, one of my two favorites, the other being Multigrain bread. 

Recipe
4 slices Harvest bread (or multigrain bread of your choice)
2 eggs, 2 whites, beaten
1/4 cup soy milk
1/2 T Sun Crystals (stevia and sugar product)
1/2 tsp cinnamon

Mix all ingredients and place in 13 x 9 pan.  Add bread slices and allow to soak up the liquid. Turn bread a few times.
Heat a large skillet on medium high. Spray with non-stick spray and add bread.  Brown on on side, flip, and continue cooking. Reduce heat so bread cooks all the way through.

Serve with a little maple syrup as you can.  I used 1/2 T, 25 calories, which I prefer over fake or sugar free syrups.
My delicious serving of French toast was 185 calories. Although I didn't I could have added a piece of chicken apple breakfast sausage from Applegate Farms.  I had some fruit and was satisfied.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More