Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My meatless Monday lunch

Trying to cut back on meat is a good way to eat lighter and I really like the Amy's "burgers".  I've tried the Texas burger and yesterday tried the California burger for the first time.  I usually have a package of whole wheat tortillas on hand.  Using the wrap idea again I defrosted the burger for 30 seconds on high in the microwave, browned it and cooked it for a few minutes in a skillet sprayed with Pam.  I cut it into 3 sections and lined the section down the middle of the tortilla, added a teaspoon of Dijon mustard, rolled it up and wrapped it tightly with saran wrap since I was taking it to work for lunch.
I made a salad of mixed greens (already washed on Sunday), cucumbers (already cut up on Sunday), and tomatoes.
I also tried a new salad dressing that is simpler and lighter than my signature balsamic vinaigrette.
1 T Extra Virgin olive oil
1 T water
1 tsp Balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
                                                                 1/2 tsp honey
I simply put all the ingredients in a small plastic container, added some freshly ground sea salt and pepper, a dash of Trader Joe's 21 Seasoning Salute (you could also add some fresh herbs such as thyme or other dried herbs on hand), shook it up and put it in the bag with my wrap.  At lunch time I mixed up the salad with about half of the dressing above and placed a generous portion inside the wrap and re-rolled it. 
Outstanding, and only 300 calories.  A snack of hummus and carrot sticks later was all I needed.
By the way, another great find from my new favorite store, Costo, is their prepared hummus.  Now, of course I can make fantastic hummus anytime I want, but it's not something I feel like doing at 6 AM before work.  The hummus comes in prepacked containers, 50 calories each, and tastes pretty good, and I'm pretty picky about eating any pre-made foods.  Give it a try sometime.  Eat it with cucumber or carrot sticks to get more vegetables in your day.




0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More