Thursday, January 26, 2012

Veggie Chili

 
Everyone in my family loves my beef chili so I make it from time to time and freeze bowls of it.  That way when I'm eating some weird dinner, maybe a strange fish, my husband can just grab a bowl of chili.  I made beef chile and decided to make an additional pot of chili last night, with half the calories of the beef chili and filled with fresh vegetables.  There are many ways to make veggie chili so don't feel locked into my recipe.  Basically you can take any fresh vegetables, stock, a few seasonings and beans and you have veggie chili.  I added a cup of cooked farro which has a meaty qualtiy.  Farro is a grain product available in the bulk section at Central Market.  You could also add "meat" crumbles. 
Vegetable Chili
1 onion
2 bell peppers, 1 red, 1 yellow, chopped
2 carrots, diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
3 cloves roasted garlic
3 cloves garlic, minced
4 cups pinto beans, cooked  (I used canned, rinsed)
1 16 ounce can diced tomatoes
1 1/2 quarts chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
1 T New Mexico red chile powder
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp cumin
freshly ground pepper and sea salt
1 cup farro, cooked
2 T cilantro, chopped

Saute onions and peppers in dutch oven sprayed with non stick spray until softened.  Add the other vegetables, beans, spices, and stock, and tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer.  Simmer for 30 minutes.  Add farro at the end.
Serve with cilantro and shredded Cabot 75% reduced fat cheese.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More