Saturday, January 21, 2012

Great Grilled Shrimp

I was so busy yesterday getting ready for a big event tonight--a "Divas' Dinner Party" where a group of us are putting on a fancy 5 course dinner that someone won in a live auction to benefit the Azle Community Caring Center.  I am making a few dishes so getting ready is a little hectic, however I am excited about the fabulous food we are preparing and I know it will be a lot of fun. While I was shopping at Central Market I noticed Texas Gulf shrimp, the large ones, on sale so I picked up a pound to prepare for our dinner last night. Grilled shrimp is easy to prepare and low in calories if you make it yourself and don't slather it with tons of butter and oil.  I marinated it in lime juice, jalapeno, garlic, soy sauce and cilantro, tossed it on the hot grill for a total of 5 minutes and we were ready to eat it.  I served it with a brown rice quinoa blend and salad.  The shrimp was sweet and juicy and my husband devoured about 8 of them.  My entire dinner had a total of 300 calories and it was a lot of food!


Spicy Grilled Shrimp

1 pound large Gulf shrimp, peel and deveined, tails left on
juice of 1 lime
1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1 T low sodium soy sauce
freshly ground sea salt and pepper
2 tsp olive oil

Place all ingredients in a bowl or zip loc bag for 10 minutes.  Heat the grill (or use a skillet) to medium high.  I oil the grill with a paper towel and tongs to keep food from sticking.  If using a skillet, spray with non stick spray.  Cook shrimp for 2-3 minutes on each side, being careful not to overcook or it will become tough.  Sprinkle cooked shrimp with a little chopped cilantro.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More