Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Private Cooking Lesson with Linda Johnson

I go to Linda's house once a month to teach, however she is already a great cook so I don't know that I'm teaching her all that much anymore, but I love seeing her.  She is working on a cookbook for the quilt guild and is always involved in community service projects.  She is a really neat woman.
Saturday's Menu:  Albondigas Locas Soup (Crazy Meatballs), Pecan Crusted Oven Fried Chicken, Blueberry Muffins
We had a great time making these dishes.  There were so many vegetables in the meatball soup I wasn't sure if Linda's husband would like it, but he thought it was great and so did Linda.  The recipes for the soup and blueberry muffins are in previous posts so I won't repeat them here.  I love the blueberry muffins because they are reduced fat, have no refined sugar, and taste great.  In fact, I got one out of my freezer this morning to take to work for a snack.  Too bad I wrote my recipe down wrong when I took it to Linda's and it left out a cup of flour, 1 1/4, rather than 2 1/4 cups!  Oops, no wonder the muffins were smaller.  Linda, please forgive me!  They still tasted really good though.  The oven fried chicken was a big hit.  If you're craving fried chicken, try it.


Pecan Crusted Oven Fried Chicken
1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts
2 large eggs
1/4 cup non fat milk
1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
1/3 cup cornmeal
1/3 cup whole wheat or white whole wheat flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 T Smart Balance or Earth Balance

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.  Line a 13 X 9 pan with foil.  In a wide bowl whisk the eggs with the milk.  In another bowl, mix the pecans, flour, cornmeal and seasonings.
Rinse the chicken, pat it dry, and dip into egg mixture, then dredge in flour mixture.  Place in baking pan and dot each piece with Smart Balance.  Bake until golden brown, 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness of the chicken.   295 calories for  a 4 ounce serving.

Albondigas Locas Soup

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More