Thursday, March 1, 2012

Low Fat Banana Cake

I guess I'll always have to bake something.  When I see the overripe bananas sitting in my basket on the counter I always think of banana bread.  I came upon a different recipe in a cookbook called The Brownie Lover's Bible by Lisa Slater and thought it might be a way to lighten up my usual banana bread.  It turned out very well and I will be making it again.
For my husband, I made the ganache and covered his with chocolate.

Low-Fat Banana Cake (adapted from The Brownie Lover's Bible)

1 1/3 cups (170 g) whole wheat flour or white whole wheat flour
1 tsp (5 ml) baking powder
1/2 tsp (2 ml) baking soda
1/2 tsp (2 ml) kosher salt
1/4 tsp (1 ml) cinnamon
2 very ripe bananas (7 oz/200 g each)
3/4 cup + 1 T (165g) organic evapaorated cane sugar
5 T (75 ml) Fage 2% or 0% fat Greek yogurt
1 egg
2 egg whites
3 T (45 ml) grapeseed oil
1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
3 oz chocolate chips (I use Callebaut dark)
Ganache (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Spray 3 mini loaf pans or a 8x4 loaf pan with non stick spray.
In a bowl, mix together the dry ingredients with a whisk.  In a bowl (or food processor) mash the bananas until smooth.  Add the sugar, yogurt, egg, egg whites, oil and vanillas.  Mix until smooth.
Sprinkle the flour mixture over the batter and mix briefly until combined.  Add chocolate chips, mix briefly.  Pour into prepared pans.  Bake large pan for one hour or until a toothpick comes out with a few crumbs attached to it.  It it starts to brown too much turn oven temperature down to 325 degrees.
Smaller pans will take 35-40 minutes.  Cool for 15 minutes, then unmold to a wire rack.

Glaze with ganache, if desired.

Ganache
8 ounces dark chocolate chopped
1 cup heavy cream
Place chocolate in a bowl. Heat the cream in a pan until just below a boil.  Add to the chocolate and let it sit for 5 minutes.  Stir and cool until desired texture.  Spoon on top of cooled banana cake.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Julia,

My name is Roberta and I’m writing to you on behalf of FAGE. I came across your recipe for Low Fat Banana Cake and would love to add it to our FAGE Community Cookbook (http://www.fageusa.com/recipes/)! In case you’re not familiar with it, our cookbook is a place where FAGE-lovers can find a wide variety of recipes that incorporate our Plain Extraordinary yogurt.

Do we have your permission to upload your recipe to the cookbook? The recipe will be fully attributed to you, and we will link back to your site.

Please contact me at rlantigua@mullen.com if you are interested in having your recipe featured or if you have any questions. We look forward to hearing from you soon!

Thanks,
Roberta on Behalf of FAGE

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More