Friday, March 2, 2012

Asian Noodles with Spicy Slaw and Beef

We had  "Taste of Carswell" at work this week and I was asked to bring something representing my "culture" for approximately 60-70 people.  I didn't want to bring something that had to be hot or heated up since that is a pain where I work (in a federal prison).  I thought of a cold noodle salad that I could assemble right before lunch.
I am posting of photo of what I made at home later that day for myself, but I had beef for the one at work.  I grilled about 5 pounds of sirloin before I left for work, sliced it thin and kept it chilled until lunchtime.  The salad was a big hit and the portion I made without meat for my vegetarian friend was much appreciated. 






Asian Noodles with Spicy Slaw and Beef
3/4 cup reduced sodium soy sauce
3 T vegetable oil
2 T seasoned rice vinegar
1tsp hot chili oil
1/2 T sesame oil
2 cloves finely minced garlic
2 tsp finely minced fresh ginger
2 T organic cane sugar
1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
8 ounces thin noodles (thin spaghetti, soba noodles, rice noodles)
kosher salt to taste
1 cup cilantro leaves
1/4 cup finely chopped roasted, salted peanuts
Sriracha sauce

Spicy Slaw

1/2 head napa cabbage, thinly sliced
1/4 head purple cabbage, thinly sliced
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1 carrot, shredded
1 small cucumber, cut into 1/8 by 2 inch strips
1 bell pepper (red, orange or yellow) cut into strips
1 red jalapeno pepper, sliced into thin rings

Mix all slaw ingredients and set aside.

In a bowl combine soy sauce, sesame oil, vegetable oil, rice vinegar, hot chili oil, garlic, ginger, and sugar.  Mix to combine and adjust flavors to your taste.  Cook noodles according to package directions.  Drain and place in a bowl.  Pour part of the dressing over the top and toss to combine.  (Reserve enough dressing to lightly dress the slaw and a little to drizzle over the noodle salad right before serving.) Add the green onions.
Optional:  Grill or sear beef, chicken, pork or tofu and place in a ziploc bag.  Add a few tablespoons of reserved dressing and some cilantro and allow to marinate for an hour.  Place sliced meat or tofu on top of noodles.
To serve, lightly dress the slaw with reserved sauce.  Place a layer of slaw on a large plate or in a large shallow bowl.  Add a layer of noodles, meat (if using), a layer of slaw, a layer of meat and noodles, ending with meat.  Sprinkle cilantro and peanuts on top.  Drizzle with reserved sauce right before serving.  Use Sriracha, to taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More