Friday, February 17, 2012

What's for lunch?

Spinach salad is a nice change from my usual red leaf lettuce and mesclun or field green salads.
I always have washed baby spinach or a bag of spinach from Oak Hills Farm, which is triple washed and ready to eat.  Now and then I make a half dozen hard boiled eggs and keep them on hand for snacks, breakfast, or a salad.  I got the idea for this spinach salad from a blog called "Lynn's Weigh".  She once weighed over 300 pounds and lost 168 pounds.  Better yet, she's kept if off since 2007!  She eats a lot of salads for meals and I tried some of her toppings with this salad.  I also used my light balasamic vinaigrette that I make fresh whenever I have a salad.  I posted that recipe previously but it's really just a teaspoon of balsamic vinegar, 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard, a few drops of honey, a tablespoon of olive oil, a tablespoon of water, freshly ground pepper, shaken up in a little container.  I put it in a zip loc sandwich bag in case it drips after I use it.  I had this spinach salad for dinner last night and it was full of flavor, crunch, and very satisfying.  Also pictured is my snack of fresh raspberries and Greek yogurt mixed with Truvia.

Loaded Spinach Salad

2-3 cups spinach leaves, cut into bit size pieces
1/2 cup chopped or shredded carrots (I cut up some carrot sticks)
1/2 tomato, chopped or several grape tomatoes
1/4 cup pinto beans (I used Ranch style with jalapeno, rinsed and drained--but use any bean you like.)
1 ounce low fat cheese, shredded or cut into small pieces (I used Finlandia Havarti)
1 T sliced almonds
few slices red onion
1 hard boiled  egg, chopped
4 crushed whole wheat pita chips
2 T low fat balsamic dressing (homemade)

Place all ingredients in a large plastic container.  Mix with dressing when ready to eat and add pita chips.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More