Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Stillwater Grill, The Lodge at Pebble Beach



My last night on the Monterey Peninsula and a dinner at the Stillwater Bar & Grill at the beautiful Lodge at Pebble Beach.  The view outside the window is the famous golf course and ocean view.  I found it hard to concentrate on the menu because I couldn't stop looking outside.

We ordered the Smoked Trout and Fuji Apple Salad with Local Petite Greens, Apple Vinaigrette and Candied Walnuts and from the Live Tank Selection, Monterey Bay Red Abalone with Capellini Pasta, Organic Baby Mache Lettuce, Lemon Truffle Vinaigrette.  We enjoyed glasses of champagne with the appetizers.  The local greens and salad ingredients were fresh but the trout was so finely shredded I could barely detect its presence.  I was, however, wowed by the abalone.  Abalone is a treasure to me, not something found in land-locked Texas (unless it's imported from far away), and growing up we were able to eat giant abalone steaks at local restaurants when anyone could harvest abalone from the rocks around in Monterey.  The abalone could not have been better.  It was cooked perfectly and paired with the lemon truffle vinaigrette the tastes exploded in my mouth.  The pasta and lettuce provided texture and a nice chewiness. 
Monterey Bay Red Abalone

Smoked Trout with Fuji Apple
Our entrees were:  Grilled Center Cut Angus Rib Eye with Stillwater Gratin, Sautéed Beet Greens with Bacon and Shallots & Red Wine Demi-Glace and  Crispy Skin Arctic Char, Fresh Baby Artichokes, Fingerling Potatoes, Petite Carrots, Asparagus & Castroville Artichoke Lemon Emulsion.  The Rombauer Cabernet, 2007, was our wine.  The Arctic Char's crispy skin and the silky texture of the fish, dipped into the lemon emulsion was a bite of heaven.  The vegetables were fresh, cooked until tender crispy.  I sampled of few bites of Yo's steak and enjoyed the rich sauce and tender beef.  I preferred the fish, but as I've said throughout the Monterey Peninsula blog series, I don't have the chance to eat fresh fish very often, but we get lots of great steaks in Texas!

 

Arctic Char
 
Grilled Rib Eye
My last dinner was definitely one I will never forget.  The Lodge at Pebble Beach is a place I will never forget for its spectacular beauty.  Many thanks to my good friend, Yo, for your hospitality, your mutual interest in food and wine, and the great conversation.

We went back to Restaurant 1833 for chocolate mousse cake, after dinner drinks of Amaretto and Hennesey Cognac. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More