Monday, September 19, 2011

Little Napoli, Carmel, Calfornia



I haven't been to Carmel in a decade and it's still the quaint, scenic place it's always been.  It was a cool, sunny day and being there brought me back to times long ago when I would walk around Carmel just because it was such a beautiful place.
Lunch at Little Napoli was highly enjoyable.  We ordered Bruschetta Campania with Cambozola, Tuscan Bean and Vegetable Soup, Gnocchi all Gorgonzola, and Garlic Prawns "Al Martino", white prawns, bay shrimp, red peppers in a garlic-butter wine sauce over spaghetti.  I don't recall ever trying Cambozola cheese so I was in for a pleasant surprise.  The crunchy Italian bread was topped with small, roasted tomatoes, fresh basil and melted Cambozola cheese.  The Cambozola cheese looked a little like Brie with streaks of gorgonzola cheese and tasted creamy, rich, and sharp from the gorgonzola.  I am now a fan of Cambozola and have purchased a small wedge of it upon my return to Texas, waiting to buy some fresh tomatoes from  the farmers market so I can make my own Bruschetta Campania.
The soup was tasty, but a little thick and heavy.  I had to leave most of it to save room for all the other dishes.  The Gnocchi with Gorgonzola was light, just as it should be, with a stuffing of gorgonzola and a light creamy sauce. I am often hesitant to order gnocchi because it's often heavy and tough, but Little Napoli knows how to prepare it correctly.  The Garlic Prawns "Al Martino" were tender and fresh with a sauce that complimented them without overpowering.  Just when I didn't think I could eat another bite, I was told I had to try Tartufo di Limoncello, a lemon gelato with a Limoncello center, raspberry and white chocolate coulis.

With a glass of Muscato, the tart lemon dessert was the perfect ending to a wonderful meal.  I'd love to go back and try everything on the menu!  Off to 17 Mile Drive and a stop at the Lodge at Pebble Beach.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More