Monday, July 5, 2010

Oven Dried Tomatoes and Roasted Summer Vegetables on Cornmeal Cakes

I'm finally taking a little time to catch up. Last week I prepared fresh corn cakes with some of my oven dried tomatoes, herb goat cheese, and roasted eggplant. I used the Ichiban eggplant from my garden and simply cut it into cubes and roasted it in the oven with a little olive oil and sea salt for about 30 minutes. The combination of the nutty eggplant with the goat cheese, intense tomato flavor from the dried tomato, and the fresh corn, still a little crisp, was wonderful.
When I came back this week two people told me they went home and made the corn cakes!
Also, a woman who sampled my migas tacos the first week who appeared to be very elderly and frail, having diffculty walking with her cane but patiently watched me prepare the migas and asked many questions, told me she made the recipe and loved it. I did not expect to have so much fun at the farmers market interacting with the people. I've met growers and their families, a woman who makes the most delicious salsa and pickled jalapenos, Judy Rose (Honey's Sweet Jalapenos), and the customers who come out early on a Saturday morning to buy vegetables. I've really enjoyed talking to the growers, all locals who have gardens, and the main organizers, Kristoffer and Lisa Rasmussen, who must have farm judging by the amount of vegetables they bring every week! I was not expecting to have so much fun talking to the children of the growers though. The Rasmussens have the most intelligent, hard working children from 8 year old Meta who grows her own cucumbers to 17 year old Zoe who sells the produce. There are a couple little girls who come with their dad every week and they are so interested in what I'm cooking and can't wait to try it. Next week I'm bring Kyndal, my 6 year old granddaughter, with me. I know she'll have a good time!
Back to the food--Recipes for last week:

Oven Dried Tomatoes and Roasted Summer Vegetables on Cornmeal Cakes

I posted the oven dried tomatoes in a previous post. For the herb goat cheese, take 4 oz of fresh goat cheese, mix with minced herbs of your choice such as basil, thyme, rosemary, parsley, a couple tsps of milk and mix until creamy.

Cornmeal cakes
1 1/4 c stone ground cornmeal ( I used Lamb's, made in Converse, Tx)
3/4 c corn flour ( you could also use all purpose flour but I was keeping it gluten free)
1 3/4 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1 2/3 c milk
4 T melted butter
1/4 c honey
2 eggs
3/4 c fresh corn kernals
1-2 minced jalapeno peppers
3/4 c shredded cheese (Cotija, Monterey Jack)
Whisk dry ingredients together. In another bowl mix wet ingredients, then pour into dry ingredients and mix together. Add corn, peppers, and cheese and mix again. Cook in a hot, oiled skillet.
Serve by placing tomatoes and roasted vegetables on top of cornmeal cake, topping with goat cheese.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More