Sunday, February 21, 2010

Guilty Pleasures

Entrance to The Nest




Rack of Lamb at The Nest


The Fredericksburg, Texas trip final dinner was at one of my all time favorite restaurants, The Nest. I've always enjoyed their hot, right out of the oven french rolls, the perfect soups, not only made from scratch, but with just the right blend of fresh herbs. I'll have to admit the food can be on the heavy side. My wild mushroom soup was excellent with a fresh dill noticeable right away.
The entree, rack of lamb, was stunning and delicious. I was not always a fan of lamb but a while back I sampled a lamb appetizer at the Lightcatcher Winery in Fort Worth and decided to give lamb another try. I've since ordered it at Grady's and a couple other places. The Nest rack of lamb was tender, juicy, and did not have the aftertaste I always associated with lamb. It suffered a bit from not being hot enough temperature wise. Steve's sauteed shrimp was also wonderful.
Seared Shrimp with Citrus Sauce


Dessert back at the B & B was the strawberry ricotta cake we got earlier at Rather Sweet Bakery.
Strawberry Ricotta Cake
The final food destination this trip was the real guilty pleasure. I ordered this dish a couple years ago called Hill Country Hash at the Rathskeller Basement Restaurant. It is grilled duck breast, onions, bell peppers, fried potatoes, topped with fried eggs and then topped with hollandaise sauce. There is fresh tarragon mixed in the hash as well. I had to send my first one back because the eggs were overdone and the hash was cold, but the returned dish was perfect.


Hill Country Hash

There is something about the combination of hollandaise sauce with the tarragon and duck that tastes really good.
Time to go back to Fort Worth and some lighter food!


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More