Sunday, January 24, 2010

Beef Fried Rice

Years go by and you forget, but the other day Amanda, my son's ex and mother of his child (my gd Kyndal) reminded me that food memories have a life of their own. I offered to make her a cake to cheer her up and she asked for red velvet cake (not the cake I like to make but have made it for people by request). Then, she said what she really wanted was the beef fried rice I used to make her. I'll bet the last time I made her that rice was 5 years ago or more! I make all kinds of fried rice, being part Asian and all. I had to think back for a minute to remember the particular rice she was thinking about. Then I remembered--it was the Thai style rice I made to copy the long since closed Mithsampun Thai restaurant in Azle.
I decided I would make not just good, but great fried rice. I started with 3 cups of rice, my best Hitomebori new crop Japanese rice, cooked in the fuzzy logic rice cooker with exactly 3 cups of water, soaked for 20 minutes beforehand. I then took the rice out of the pan, spread it in a sheet pan and put it in the frig to chill. Chilled rice is essential to make unsticky fried rice.

3 cups Japanese rice, cooked and chilled
3/4 lb rib eye steak (or any good steak), sliced thin in strips measuring 1/4" X 2 "
2-3 T vegetable oil
2 carrots, small diced, steamed in microwave for 1 minute
1/2 small onion, diced
1 garlic clove, minced
3 eggs, scrambled, set aside
sauce:
2 T Tamari soy sauce
1 T Oyster sauce
1 tsp fish sauce
Mix above together, set aside
Add 1 T oil to medium hot skillet or wok. Add onion, garlic, and carrots and cook for 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside. Add meat and cook until pink is gone being careful not to overcook. Remove and set aside.
Clean pan and and heat again. Add 1 T oil and 3-4 cups rice. Fry the rice over medium high heat until all grains are separated. Try to brown some of the rice.
Add the onions, carrots, meat and sauce. Cook 2 minutes, blending all together. Add the eggs and mix well. Taste and add more soy sauce to taste. Sprinkle with sea salt and serve.
For extra spicy rice, serve with a little sambal or srichracha.

This rice was really, really delicious and I know Amanda enjoyed it.
Next time I'll take a photo......
By the way, the red velvet cupcakes were also a big hit. I used the recipe from a Food Network Throwdown--never go wrong with that recipe.

1 comments:

Nate @ House of Annie said...

Hi Julia,

thanks for your comment on our Niku Jaga post. Unfortunately, I made a boo boo mistake and deleted the comment instead of publishing it. Would you care to re-comment, so I can publish it correctly this time?

Post a Comment

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More